Sunday, May 18, 2008

Handling Your Overpayment Claims Well

Have you ever received a notice from the Social Security Administration (SSA) saying that you have been overpaid by thousands of dollars and demanding that you return the overpaid amount? If you have, then here are some steps that you can undertake to correct your disability premium.
If you have been notified by the SSA about overpayment in your claims, visit the nearest SSA branch office in your locality. Verify the matter with branch personnel. You may request for a re-computation of your payments.
Next, if you think that the overpayment claim is not right, request for reconsideration by accomplishing for a waiver so that the collections will be suspended. When requesting for a waiver, have your receipts ready. Other expenses may come into play as well.
When your request for a waiver of payment is denied, you can appeal the decision and request for a hearing. An administrative law judge will be on hand to address your concern.
On the other hand, if you think that the SSA personnel was right in claiming that you overpaid your disability benefit, then there is no other recourse but to settle the amount or have disability benefits terminated as well.
It will be good if you make payment arrangements with the SSA. Work out a scheme that will not hurt your budget but will enable you to pay your premiums promptly.
Your disability should not serve as a hindrance for paying the correct disability benefits. It is always tempting to claim money that is not yours especially if it involves thousands of dollars. But then again, you can find yourself in a legal dilemma if you persist in doing this.