Friday, October 3, 2008

Available Legal Remedies for Discriminated Transsexuals

If you believe only men and women can file workplace discrimination suits against their employers – think again.

The article, “Transsexuals Discriminated Against at Work can Fight Back”, posted on October 2, 2008, is the story of a former US Army commander who had won her discrimination suit against the government. The former soldier, who was a man at that time, said she experienced discrimination after she announced her intention to undergo a sex change operation.

The transsexual won her case after the court determined that the former soldier was a victim of gender discrimination.

If you believe you have been discriminated in the hiring, firing and getting promotions at work, you can file a discrimination suit against your employer.

Federal and state laws prohibit discriminatory acts against persons based on their gender, religious belief, race, disability, among others.

Under the law, victims of discrimination may first file an administrative complaint in their work offices and through any office of the Equal Employment and Opportunity Commission (EOOC).

The charge or complaint must first be addressed by your employer to determine if it is valid. If the issue is not resolved, the agency will then issue a “right to sue” to the victim. After which, a victim may pursue his claims with the help of a lawyer.